Friday, September 11, 2009

Can I continue to receive on the tongue

In last Sunday's bulletin our pastor published a letter written by our bishop. It stated that because of the H-1 N-1 virus we would no longer partake in the precious blood and that he strongly suggested that we no longer receive the Eucharist on the tongue. I really don't understand. THIS IS GOD! He would not allow the virus to be passed through His body and the blood. Am I wrong? Well anyway, my husband and I agreed that we would try to receive on the hand. Since I am a cantor and he is a lector, we would be on the altar and noticed receiving on the tongue after this letter was published. Our parochial vicar and the communicants seemed confused when we put up our hands in humble obedience. How does a person know where to draw the line. I have asked reputable religious friends saying people would notice. Each time I was told maybe people should notice. It seems like things are going haywire around me in many different forms. Jesus asks us to remember Him with His body and blood. He doesn't say some of the time, when danger of illness isn't likely. All I can do is think back hundreds of years when all kinds of illness and plagues spread without cures. Again, Jesus IS GOD, He is all knowing then and now. He would not have had this sharing of the Body and Blood if he was worried about any of that. I am just stumped.
Yesterday during adoration I asked Jesus if He had anything He wanted to discuss with me. I often speak to Him in this way. I saw myself receiving on the tongue. It was like I was looking at myself from the side. Then it was like I was shown him entering right into my heart. I can't explain it, because it all happened in my minds eye in time that was without time. In the time I take one breath or in the blink of my eyes. It wasn't even real or actual. It was like I melted away and my heart was what was left. Any way, not really knowing what this meant , I received on the hand again today, but when I picked up the Eucharist to place it in my mouth, time stopped. I couldn't stop my gaze upon the cross in the center of the Eucharist. It was the same gaze that I am allowed when receiving on the tongue. When the Eucharist fills my whole field of vision. When I focus on the beauty and the gift I am about to receive. It seemed to last a very long time. I wonder if the priest noticed? I wish I could just go to my pastor and ask. Unfortunately we aren't close and I always seem to irritate him. Our parochial vicar said he was fine with me continuing to receive on the tongue. This was because he seemed to continue to aim at my mouth. I had to thrust my hands upwards to give him the hint as to where the Eucharist was to be placed. So I asked him. I don't know what I am going to do. I think this is a mistake and I don't know what to do about it.

4 comments:

  1. I think the guidance should come from your priest. Our parish for a short time went to the no-cup approach although no changes were made in how the host was received. The priest explained what guidance had been to all priests in the diocese. Interestingly, the Spanish mass (which I occasionally attend) ignored the bishop's guidance and left it up to individuals. But in each case, people were told exactly what were the choices and why they were being offered. I remember reading somewhere that there has never been any evidence for transfer of disease through the eucharist, but people themselves do become nervous, which is why I think our diocese made those changes for about 3 weeks last fall, then returned to normal and remains in that state now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to read of your distress over this decision ... or do I mean to write, that I am sorry over the decision? I think the latter. It seems an unnecessary precaution to me, but then I'm no one special. Still as Elizabeth wrote, it isn't so much a question of illness being passed from/though the Holy Eucharist, as people's concerns about it.

    What seems even sadder almost is that you have such a poor relationship with your parish priest. Not long ago, I was severely chastized -- at a neighboring parish I liked to attend for early morning Mass -- by the pastor for receiving Our Lord on the tongue. I was the only one to do so. I can only suppose he found it offensive to give me Communion this way, although I attend Mass at many other parishes throughout our city and have never had a problem elsewhere. I am clean and neat person, so I don't think it was me, per se, just the fact that he doesn't like giving Communion that way. To make a long story short, after I was publicly chewed out -- just as I was being given the Body of Christ -- I left that church never to return.

    I pray for that priest and I thank God I don't belong to that parish.

    You will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, for the comments. I spend much time in prayer about my parish priest, whom many people love. In case you wondered, I have asked 3 different occasions in three different circumstances for a sign and all tree times It has been given. God is good. At last Sunday mass I cantored with my pastor. In our church I stand with the altar servers. I was so uncomfortable, wondering what was appropriate, that I spent the last minute before receiving praying, telling Jesus that I would be receiving on the hand unless He showed me otherwise. I looked up and the woman next to me received on the tongue. I was so shocked that I received on the hand, but that will be my last time, unless Father askes me to stop. We must never forget the intimacy Jesus allows us to share with Him. Day after Day He amazes me.

    I have felt God asking me to spend time away from this blog, but feel I may be back soon. Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About viruses spreading thorugh the Precious Blood...don't fool yourself. Yes it can be, and it happens. In fact, the Precious Blood is not supposed to be offered as it is customarily done everywhere, if you actually read authoritative Church Documents such as Sacrosanctum Concilium, the GIRM and Redemptionis Sacramentum.

    But no one asked me, or our professor, or apparently the authors of those documents. *sigh*

    But yes, in any case, sicknesses can be and ARE spread. I've gotten sick that way. Haven't you seen people coughing and chocking and then they go up and receive under both species?

    In fact, I get cold sores, so if I have a big nasty sore, I will receive in the hand so as to ensure the priest won't bump my lip or tongue and then spread my big nasty sore on to someone else. I very very rarely ever receive the Precious Blood, even though I have a huge devotion to it.

    When receiving the Blood of Christ, common sense shows us that simply wiping the chalice doesn't remove viruses. Saliva gets backwashed into the Precious Blood, and the last time I checked, our saliva hasn't been consecrated. Our bodily fluids aren't changed when we receive the Blessed Sacrament. If we go to Mass sick, we usually leave sick, unless for some reason God chooses to heal someone. We might even arrive healthy and leave sick after shaking a sick person's hand and wiping our eyes.

    Certainly God could heal someone when they receive, but we are in this physical world and physical laws (excluding Transubstantiation, of course!) still apply to us.

    God asks for our own Prudence and HE demands our obedience to legitimate authorities; our bishops and our priests.

    So...if you are being asked to receive in the hand, the holiest thing to do is to obey, offer up your holy longing to receive on the tongue, and know that your obedience is the key that opens Heaven. Remember your pastor is under obedience to his Bishop, too, and must do as directed.

    ReplyDelete